On Thursday, U.S Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY) demanded to know why the President continued to treat Puerto Ricans differently from other Americans citizens. Schumer tweeted to Trump directing, asking, “Why do you continue to treat Puerto Ricans differently than other Americans when it comes to natural disasters?”
Why do you continue to treat Puerto Ricans differently than other Americans when it comes to natural disasters?
— Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) October 12, 2017
Schumer’s tweet came after Trump blasted the island on Twitter, saying a federal response cannot “last forever” and delving into Puerto Rico’s long-standing debt owed to the U.S. With as little as 10% of the population still without power or clean drinking water, many Senate members are criticizing Trump for his insensitive comments.
Furthermore, Trump blamed the island’s debt and infrastructure problems for making the issues worse while at the same time praising FEMA and first responders.
…We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 12, 2017
At this time, roughly 10% of the island’s 3.4 million residents have electricity, leaving 90% without power. This means there is no heat, no means to cook food, no lights, and makes it difficult to stay in touch with loved one.
Prior to Thursday, the Trump administration was slammed for waiting 9 days after Hurricane Maria before taking action, resulting in lawmakers begging Trump to send basic necessities such as food and water.
What do you think?
*Tell us in the comments below*